International Yoga Day Special: Padmasan aka Lotus Position
YOGA HAS THAT POWER OF HOPE THAT ILLUMINATES EVEN THE DARKEST CORNERS OF THE BODY…….
Yoga is the art that keeps the body healthy, mind calm, and heart at peace. Yoga involves so many poses and asanas, each having its own uniqueness and specialty. Performing some of them can give immense pleasure and a healthy body and mind. One of the most important and easy to perform asanas in the list of asanas is Lotus Position or Padmasana. Lotus Position or Padmasana is the position of Yoga that helps in the strengthening of legs, thighs, and muscles. Also, it makes the body flexible and injuries resistant. With so many benefits Lotus Position or Padmasana has a lot to offer.
LET'S KNOW IN DETAIL ABOUT LOTUS POSITION OR PADMASANA…...
WHAT IS LOTUS POSITION OR PADMASANA?
The Lotus position in Yoga, as the name suggests, has been named after a famous flower that floats on the water of ponds, lakes, or streams with so many petals of baby pink color. The Lotus Position itself resembles the Lotus Flower. As the Lotus symbolizes calm, peace, quietness, and beauty, so is Yoga, especially the lotus position. As the roots of the Lotus flower are mucked, but the flower always faces heaven and moves with the water, so is the Yoga. Yoga is also grounded and spiritually oriented.
The beauty of Lotus's position comes from the triangular shape of the body. And triangle, according to most western cultures, is considered as a symbol of will, knowledge, and actions, the three major aspects of Yoga. By turning the body into a triangle, the divinity and mystical energy can be felt by the person by staying very grounded at that very moment.
HOW TO PRACTICE LOTUS POSITION OR PADMASANA?
As stated earlier, the position resembles the Lotus. Thus while practicing this asana, the body will also float like a lotus. And the mind will picture the beauty, calmness, and peacefulness as is experienced by the Lotus. Yoga Position is the classic pose of pranayama or controlled breathing and meditation. Also, the lotus position is known as the Buddha.
Position. Here is how to perform it easily-
- Take your position by sitting with your back straight along with the mind calm and relaxed.
- Now slowly take your right foot in your hands and place it gently on the left thigh. Try to keep the foot as close to the crease of your hip as you can. Try to align the right heel with the left hip joint. While doing this, all try to keep the left ankle straight.
- Now again, take your left foot in the hands and gently place it on the right thigh, trying to keep the foot as close to the crease of the hip as you can. Again try to align the left heel, too, with the right hip joint. And try to keep the right ankle straight now.
- Now, open your chest and lengthen your spine while putting the shoulders gently back, sitting in a proud position with your chin holding high. Also, do remember to press in the lower back to maintain a natural curve.
- Now try to extend the arms and place the hands and wrist on the knees. Make sure that your palms face the sky.
- Place the hands in the Jnana mudra position, and you will find yourself in a lotus position.
- Now take some long deep breaths in and then breathe them out completely a couple of times and stay in the same position.
Practicing this Lotus Position, you will find yourself in a calm and relaxed state of mind. If you are a beginner, don't force your body parts to perform the accurate poses, as it will cause pain. Instead, practice it regularly. Gradually you will find yourself improving and someday just perfect sitting in the Lotus Position.
BENEFITS OF LOTUS POSITION
The benefits of the Lotus Position or Padmasana are as follows-
RELEASES HIP - Practicing the lotus position helps to relieve the stress, tension, and fear stored in the hips for a long time. The lotus pose has a stretching effect that helps in releasing negativity, stress, fear, and tension, maintaining the flexibility and well-being of the body.
EASES THE SYMPTOMS OF MENSTRUATION - The whole menstruation week is full of uneasiness, pain, and bleeding. The practice of the Lotus position stretches the pelvic area that increases the blood flow, making menstruation easier. Also, the regular practice of lotus position helps in easing childbirth.
DESTROYER OF DISEASES - The practice of lotus position stimulates the acupuncture pints, lymphatic nodes, and organs. All these things help in keeping the diseases and infections away.
STRETCHES THE ANKLES AND KNEES - While performing the Lotus, the knees bend, and ankles get arranged, stretching these two parts of the body. Hence the expansion loses the areas and relieves the pain.
PROMOTES UNION - Practicing Lotus Position promotes the reunion of mind, heart, body, and soul. Performing Lotus Position liberates, purifies, and harmonizes the person's physical, mental, and spiritual well-being.