1.The Indian constitution is the world’s longest written constitution of any country on earth. It is divided into 25 parts and comprises 448 articles and 12 schedules.
2. The Indian constitution was not typed or printed, but it was handwritten in both Hindi and English.
3. The original constitution was handwritten by Prem Behari Narain Raizada with beautiful calligraphy in a flowing italic style.
4. Each page of the original constitution was uniquely decorated by Shantiniketan artists including Nandalal Bose and Beohar Rammanohar Sinha.
5. The original copies of the 1950 constitution are preserved in a helium-filled case in the Library of the Parliament House in New Delhi.
6. Over 2000 amendments were made to the first draft when it was put up for debate and discussion.
7. The Preamble of our Constitution is inspired by the Preamble to the Constitution of the United States of America, which also begins with “We the people”.
8. The ideals of Liberty, Equality and Fraternity in our Preamble were borrowed from the French Constitution. The words “secular” and “socialist” were added later to the preamble during the Emergency in 1976.