1. The largest living arthropod in the world, Birgus Latro or Robber Crab resides on Andaman and Nicobar islands.
2. The only active volcano in India, Barren Island, is present in the Andaman Islands.
3. Dugong, the gentle sea cow, is the state animal of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
4. The largest sea turtles in the world nest in Andaman.
5. The names ‘Andaman’ and ‘Nicobar’ are taken from the Malay Language.
6. A penal settlement, including the dreaded Kala Pani Jail (Cellular Jail), was established here by the British after the revolt of 1857.
7. Jal Hans, India’s first commercial seaplane was launched in the Andaman Islands
8. Andaman and Nicobar Island has India’s first and only joint tri-service defence command.