1. On the basis of a study on other similar types of viruses, scientists predict that the novel coronavirus may resemble the mild cold-causing coronaviruses in the future.
2. The modelling study is based on the research of 4 common cold coronaviruses and SARS-CoV-1.
3. Scientists analysed the immunological and epidemiological data for these viruses to develop a model that can predict the trajectory of SARS-CoV-2 as it becomes endemic.
4. Researchers noted that humans have been infected by four common cold-causing coronaviruses for a long time and almost everyone is infected at a young age.
5. Coronavirus might be headed down a similar path in human history. The research suggests that endemic SARS-CoV-2 may similarly become a disease of early childhood.
6. Researchers affirm that such an early infection will develop immune protection against severe disease. The shift to becoming a common cold virus depends on how fast the virus spreads.