1. The COVID-19 situation in Delhi continues to remain grim and is likely to remain the same for the near future.
2. While several reasons have been blamed for the recent spike, one very prominent and the most concerning is how people of Delhi have ignored the COVID-19 safety guidelines and are violating them, in public places.
3. Ever since the first wave of COVID-19 slowed down in Delhi, people were seen acting like the pandemic is over and there is no need to follow social distancing and wear a mask anymore.
4. The crowding at public places and people not wearing masks had reached so bad that the Delhi Government was forced to increase the fine for such violations to Rs 2,000 from the previous Rs 500.
5. Within four days of implementing a fine of Rs 2,000 for violation of Covid protocols like wearing a mask in public, the Delhi Police has collected nearly Rs 1.5 crore as challans.
6. According to the data shared by the Delhi Police, a total 7,655 challans have been issued from November 20 to November 24.
7. Over 1,500 people who were found not wearing a face mask at public places were issued challans across the national capital on 22 November, the police said.