1. 4oo million people likely to be poverty-stricken
The coronavirus crisis is expected to wipe out 195 million full-time jobs or 6.7% of working hours globally in the second quarter of this year, the UN’s labour body has warned.
2. India has more fake news than any other country in the world
A survey conducted by Microsoft revealed that over 60% of Indians said they had seen fake news online against the global average of 57%.
3. Almost 10 million kids ‘may never return to school’ after coronavirus
The pandemic has caused an unprecedented education emergency with up to 9.7 million children affected by school closures at risk of never going back to class.
4. Spike in daily wage labourers suicide numbers
The share of daily-wage earners among those who died by suicide has been steadily rising. The numbers doubled to 23.4% in 2019 as compared to 6 years before.
5. The country’s economy crisis
India’s economy may contract by 10.5% in 2020-21, according to Fitch Ratings, which released its outlook for India’s GDP on 8 September.
6. India now has the most daily death
India’s trajectory of deaths due to Covid-19 is now the worst in the world and continues to rise.