1. Data compiled by the global environmental organization Break Free From Plastic, Coca-Cola Company, PepsiCo and Nestlé have topped the world’s biggest plastic polluters, the third year in a row.
2. American brand Coca-Cola was ranked the world’s number one plastic polluter by Break Free From Plastic in its annual audit.
3. Coke bottles were the most frequently found discarded on beaches, rivers, parks and other public places in 51 of 55 nations surveyed.
4. Coca-Cola branding was found on 13,834 pieces of plastic, while PepsiCo branding was on 5,155 and Nestlé branding was on 8,633 pieces of plastic.
5. This year’s audit was undertaken by 15,000 volunteers and collected more than 346,000 pieces of plastic waste, of which nearly two-thirds of the total plastic (63%) was labelled by a clear consumer brand.
6. Other brands that made the top ten list in the report include Unilever, Mondelez, Mars, Procter & Gamble, Philip Morris, Colgate-Palmolive and Perfetti Van Melle.