1. India’s retail inflation based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) has consistently registered above 6 per cent in the last few months, hitting a nearly six-and-a-half-year high of 7.6 per cent in October.
2. Transportation and communication inflation, which has 8.6 per cent weightage in the overall CPI, has been rising in the last few months and has been in double digits in August, September and October.
3. Many segments like transportation and communication, health, and personal care and effects have witnessed sharp price increases, which economists attribute to the pandemic and its impact on people’s lifestyles.
4. Health inflation, with a 5.9 per cent weightage in the CPI, has been hovering around 4-5 per cent, higher than the levels seen in March.
5. India’s food inflation zoomed to over 11 per cent in October from 10.68 per cent in September and has been high over the preceding months as well on account of seasonal and flood-induced shortages.Topics #Economy #GDP #Indian Economy #inflation