1. Monika Das has created history from Bihar by becoming the first transgender woman to be appointed as presiding officer by the Election Commission for the state assembly elections.
2. The 32-year-old is a gold medallist in law from Patna University. She is also the first trans person to be working with a nationalized bank since 2015.
3. As a result, Bihar is India’s first state to appoint a transperson as the presiding officer to any election.
4. Back in 2016, in West Bengal, Riya Sarkar, a transgender woman, was appointed as a polling officer. As of now, Bihar has around 40,000 transgenders.
5. Das shall get all the training needed, said Chief electoral officer of Bihar HR Srinivasa. According to Bihar’s electoral roll, 2344 transgenders are eligible to cast their vote.
6. Reshma Prasad, an expert member of the National Council for Transgender Persons in New Delhi, welcomed the move and said it was a proud moment for the transgender community.Topics #Bihar Elections #Bihar Polls 2020 #Election Commission #Transgender Women